It’s come a long way since the original concept redesign back in the July of 2009. The thinkMoult blog has been incrementally updated probably once a month with small tweaks to the layout. The blog has been stripped originally from its (relatively) featureful edition to the bare essentials – ie. a streaming wall of text with emphasis on clear headers and content areas.
To me a blog is a very much a written journal. Social and pictorial blogs aren’t "blogs" in my definition of the word. As a result I’ve decided to condense things a little, cutting out pictures which don’t complement the article, focusing on clear typographical elements (pushing the limits of the beloved Arial font!) and effective use of padding rather than borders. I’m maintaining the simplicity of the previous layout (no sidebar, no link lists or fancy plugins) and sticking to my roots.
The design itself was inspired by the Depo Skinny Theme but with obvious edits here and there on font styles. What this implies is that I’ve also involuntarily drastically improved the semantics behind the blog itself – which is a good thing of course.
Everything should’ve been ported over such as avatar support in comments, asides along with my asides category pagination hack, and the various footer tweaks. There have also been a few edits here and there which add to the overall polish of the design.
Well, I hope you like it, and let me know if there is anything which looks messed up.
I think I can safely assume that although there were signs from the latest mockup that suggested the design that was released today nobody really expected what came out to come out. Well, the final layout is out and recorded as per protocol in the WIPUP project. It can be seen in detail here. As usual the full project timeline can be seen in my WIPUP profile page.
Well, go check out the KDE.org website to see the real deal. For those interested in more details they can read the KDE Dot article about the relaunch. Pretty awesome, except that I was originally credited as "Doin Moult" (now fixed). Hopefully I should be poking my nose into more KDE www projects in the future.
Also happy to see a spike up to almost 1000 views in the past week of WIPUP updates. I know it’s unfinished and all, but I must say I quite like using the system. Perhaps in the future I should try out some other media types in my updates to see how well they fare.
The new KDE website redesign is due any day now (with the release of KDE SC 4.4) and when it’s released you will be able to see how ideas were amalgamated from many different mockups and some which I’ve not had the records to post. The final design is different, much more aligned with the KDE "Air" branding, and most importantly a shared effort, like what open-source is meant to be. So don’t be too shocked if what is released is completely different.
Check out the latest mockup update here.
Past mockups viewable in full on my WIPUP profile.
Only 2 days left until the KDE SC 4.4 is released, but apparently the website design is due out on the 8th! Yes, that’s tomorrow. Today’s update shows a stage in the mockup which is natural to designers – the rejection stage. A new idea (in this case, minimalism) is chosen and we try out something new to see if we like it.
View the full update here. Full progress can be seen on my WIPUP profile.
Yep, it’s just 3 days left until KDE SC 4.4 is released and we see even more polish on yesterday’s design for the KDE website. We’ve now shaped it into a full design and we’re debating which ideas we like from this and which should be thrown away.
Click here to check it out. As usual the full progress can be seen on the WIPUP profile.
Another day and we continue to see development on the KDE website redesign. We’re fleshing out the KDE webdesign mockup seen yesterday into a full page and it’s taking shape slowly but surely.
Check it out here.
As usual you can see the full series (3 in total now) on my WIPUP profile.
Right, it’s a day later and it’s time to see where we’ve gotten with the redesign of the KDE website.
As most of you noticed yesterday, the main gripes were with the header of the design. Today’s update is a small but necessary one – one that shows the start of a new design idea. Very often the start of a design determines its success at the end, and people may or may not take an instant like/dislike to it.
I’d like to stress to those that perhaps didn’t quite get it that this work has already been done, I’m simply posting it out of good humour and I thought people would be interested.
Well, here it is.
Previous entries can be viewed in the WIPUP profile page.
I like dabbling in web development and design and so I was quite happy to be able to participate in the redesign of the new KDE.org website due to release in conjunction with KDE SC 4.4 on February 9th. This was what I was working on during the past week and I must say I’ve learned and experienced quite a lot from trying to contribute.
So every day, including today, I will release an image showing stages in the process of creating the KDE webdesign mockup. They can be found in a newly setup WIPUP project, which can be seen in full at my WIPUP profile.
Today we start off with the original mockup (not done by me) from a user with the alias it-s. Have a peek.